79.3 mph Flux

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yo yo! welcome to hpisf speed man :)

Welcome j-south. Crash (admin on here) showed me your youtube vid the other day & i said "yep, this guy needs to join us on hpisf."

Glad to see you here. That mod was a great idea. Keep the flux info & pics coming

oh yeah, & btw

Welcome to HPISF!!

Very cool. I saw your stuff on another site and recomended you to some lighter stuff to reach the speeds your looking for. Keep up the great work I can't wait to see if even faster.

recomended you to some lighter stuff to reach the speeds your looking for. .

i agree.......and slow your steering rate & throw down and you'll be able to control here at speed soo much better. try a better body like a stock ss body for less wind resistance too.........nice vid and welcome to THE forum.

3S 5000mah 20C is dancing around the very low end of recommended battery specs if you're using the MMM/2200kv or 2650kv. How the heck do you keep that thing from puffing the battery every other run? Unless you have some trick up your sleeve, you should upgrade your batteries to at least 5000mah 30C.

Also, drag is killing you. I think something like a 1/8 late-model oval body would gain you some noticeable speed, as would skinnier tires.

Sweet truck!!! I don't care what anybody says; I think the all black brick look is pretty sick. Who cares about aerodynamics at this point anyhow??? I do like that C-10 body in black though. It is good to see another FABB on here too......(Fast-A$$-Black-Brick). 80 or even 100 is very possible with some taller gearing and MORE POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good Luck though.:happy:

Thanks for the welcome everyone. I've been a bit busy lately with too much non-rc related work. I'm ready to get back after it. I have a lighter battery and some larger diameter tires coming and we'll see how that does hopefully this coming weekend. The battery is comin outta hong kong so who knows when that'll show up.
Thanks again for the welcome...I'm definitely hanging around :D

Very cool. I saw your stuff on another site and recomended you to some lighter stuff to reach the speeds your looking for. Keep up the great work I can't wait to see if even faster.

Thanks man I'm trying it's just not happening as fast as I'd like..play time is hard to find sometimes. Hopefully next time I get the spare cash I can take you up on some of your stuff. I definitely believe your tvps would make a noticeable difference in speed and will FOR SURE be in touch when I get the $

3S 5000mah 20C is dancing around the very low end of recommended battery specs if you're using the MMM/2200kv or 2650kv. How the heck do you keep that thing from puffing the battery every other run? Unless you have some trick up your sleeve, you should upgrade your batteries to at least 5000mah 30C.

Also, drag is killing you. I think something like a 1/8 late-model oval body would gain you some noticeable speed, as would skinnier tires.

I'm using two 3S 5000 mah 20c in series in the vid so there's plenty of power but I'm lightening up a bit with w single 6S 2650mah 40C so we'll see soon enough how that does.
I agree on the tires but right now I think diameter is where its at since I'm about out of gearing options

After runs like that what temps are you seeing ?

I am all carbon XL length with the BP's hi speed tranny 19/45 and the temps get to high for comfort if I do speed runs.... 5S 35C hyperion packs

25 /44 all alloy you must be cooking hot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm diggin that motor mount.

is there anyway that you could test fit that mount on the stock flux motor plate to see if it might work? :thinking:

After runs like that what temps are you seeing ?

I am all carbon XL length with the BP's hi speed tranny 19/45 and the temps get to high for comfort if I do speed runs.... 5S 35C hyperion packs

25 /44 all alloy you must be cooking hot.

So far highest temps I've seen are 155 at the ESC and 215 at the motor.
Those were reached on some of the first runs I made. The latest 79mph run had much cooler temps but I also allow a little more cool down time between runs.

What kind of speed are you getting out bp's tranny? I'm 25/44 with the flux trans and so far thats the fastest gearing setup I've found.

So far highest temps I've seen are 155 at the ESC and 215 at the motor.
keep your fire extinguisher handy at them temps ... Smokey says, "only you can prevent forest fires" lol

I'm not trying to set any speed records... I bash it, not a pavement pounder. I like to fly high more then go fast in a straight line. Calculator says 58 b4 the tires balloon with the added 3 inches of tire IDK fast enough for 20 -30 feet of air off small ramps 4 sure...

Edit: after reading this again it looks like i'm taking a dig at the on road... just to let you know.. I'm not! Just don't want you to read it wrong.

I'm using two 3S 5000 mah 20c in series in the vid so there's plenty of power but I'm lightening up a bit with w single 6S 2650mah 40C so we'll see soon enough how that does.
I agree on the tires but right now I think diameter is where its at since I'm about out of gearing options

Dude, batteries are NOT where you want to go light with a MMM. Seriously, current is where your batteries are falling down on you. You're running way higher gearing than is recommended, which you can get away with if you set things up right. But to run that gearing, you're going to pull a LOT of current, more than a 2650mah battery is going to keep up with. Bigger wheels are only going to make that situation worse. Eventually, you'll overdraw your batteries, and they'll blow up, or your ESC will burn. A higher C-rating, and a higher mah rating will allow you to pull more amperage while making less heat, and that will keep your truck from going up like a Fourth of July smoke bomb.
The other area where you're running high risk with those batts is that the MMM uses the batteries to sink current generated during braking. If you go to low in capacity(Mah) the batteries can't accept all that current, it sends it to the three capacitors in the ESC and burns them out. If your batteries don't puff on the spot, your next trigger pull will smoke the ESC.
Castle Creations themselves say that the ABSOLUTE MINIMUM battery ratings are 5000mah 30C. Where HPI got the 20C rating they have in their manual, nobody can figure out.

Lose your weight somewhere other than the battery. A carbon fiber chassis will save you some weight, and there have to be lighter, thinner wheels out there.
You can also cut some weight by trading down to some shorter shocks and lighter towers. Check this out, CF Hellfire towers mounted to the bulkheads on the tie-rod screw locations:
BS1.jpg

Or this, with Kyosho Inferno GT shocks and modded stock Savage X towers:
modifiedshocktowers.jpg

modifiedlowCGshocktower.jpg

loweredsuspensionfullview.jpg

Ascender! + REP!!! thanks for that detailed description... Helps clear a few things up for me.. also great pics of modded shock towers and suspensioN!!! Helps a lot!

Yo JS!!! you should def do the shock mods... Should help with control...

Calculator says 58 b4 the tires balloon with the added 3 inches of tire IDK fast enough for 20 -30 feet of air off small ramps 4 sure...

Editorial Point- That calculation was estimated given 18.5v; your 5s packs charge up at 21v which adds another 5,500 rpm.

Combine 3300 rpm with the huge tire balloon & youre blowing past 58 mph with 18/45.

we need to gps. it.

sorry to thread-jack j-s... freddy

It's not at the moment unfortunately. I wanted to have it together by this weekend for some runs but after reading on here and doing some other research, I decided to look at some other options. The battery situation for instance, I purchased a turnigy 2200mah 6S 40-50C LiPo but now I'm finding out that a lighter battery option may kill the esc. I wont be using the MMM for braking tho so I may try it anyways. Gearing...no luck there as I can't find any higher ratios to run. Tires, I have a NIB set of stockers that I'm gonna try simply for diameter purposes. If they explode before 80 well then hope I catch it on film. After the next couple of runs I'm gonna bail on top speed and get back to bashin. I get to play alot more that way. Thanks for the great info everyone has posted in this thread. I'm still figuring alot of this out and ya'll r a great help. I'll get something new up soon video-wise. I WILL break 80 before I bail

Latest posts

Members online

Back