'69 Charger!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeK1981

ChondroManiac
Here is my new lid. HPI '69 charger. I was inspired by Ascender's stars and stripes body, but wanted to do something different. I thought about adding stars into the blue but decided against it. I free-handed the flames onto the overspray film with a dry erase marker which work very well for correcting mistakes. The black has two coats of candy blue over it which in person makes it look like a VERY dark purple. Hard to see that in the pics though. I wanted to use chrome on the supercharger and pipes but was tired of waiting around on the LHS and I had the silver on hand. Kinda wish I went with the candy red now but oh well.

Pactra Paints-
RC272- Candy Blue
RC264- Metallic Red
RC262- Silver
RC276- Pearl White
RC251- Sprint White
RC250- Outlaw Black

69Charger.jpg

69Charger2.jpg

69Charger3.jpg

69Charger4.jpg

69Charger5.jpg

69Charger6.jpg

69Charger7.jpg

69Charger8.jpg

Sorry about the pics. I don't have a good camera. But the red and white are very metallic looking in the sun, and the candy blue looks fantastic. Four coats backed with silver. It has a very deep look to it.

On a side note, the purple wasn't intended. I did a test strip with one coat of the candy blue backed with outlaw black and it looked pretty cool. Black with a fine blue sparkle in it. Well, when I painted the body I did two coats of the blue and then the black, without testing it first. It was a bit too much giving it a purple hue, but oh well. Also I used a heat gun to help dry the coats of paint and all was fine until the last layer of fasmask needed to come off. I think it was heated too many times and it got soft and bonded to the plastic. It was a real pain to get off. Luckily the white hid the marks in the plastic very well. I had to scrape it off gently and it took FOREVER lol. So in other words if your using liquid mask either do it in the sun or be very careful not to heat it too many times with a heat gun. It's not worth the time saved because you may end up spending even more time scraping off your masking lol.

Awesome Man. Great job.

That has to be one of the best bodies I've seen on an RC car .
Paint looks like a top professional job . It's sick !
I wish I could paint that good !
I like your choice in wheels and tires also !

Sweet lid!! I bought the same lid last year and me being a newb I just painted it one color that was lime green :)

I'm a newb too man! This was my 5th lid for the savage and the most complicated so far. I've only done 2 bashing lids that were two-toned (Pactra Outlaw Black and Competition Orange), and two others that were more detailed (Pactra Outlaw Black with SpazStix brand chrome for the trims and bumpers) before this one.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back