4x4 clutch review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4x4

hpi savage 3 shoe clutch review

review written by 4x4

item:ALUMINUM CLUTCH SHOE SET (3 PIECE TYPE) for savage
part number:# 87196
where to buy
Uk:www.mirageracing.com
America:http://www.hpiracing.com/distributors/ (visit the hpi websit to find out your local dealer)
versions avalible: 2 shoe and 3 shoe
price:
Uk: je spares £22.19 http://www.jespares.com/radio-contr...gs/hpi-aluminium-clutch-shoe-set-3-piece.html
America:towerhobbies $29.99 http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKSC7&P=ML

link to hpi clutch

Before i start i would like to say a big thanks to megabyteme for sending me this item!!!

how it will come.
new018.jpg

whats in the pack.
there are :
3 clutch shoes
3 soft springs (silver)
3 hard springs (gold)
6 screw in weights (3 of which are spares)
instructions
new027.jpg

the instructions.
these are very detailed instructions and are very easy to read and follow. they list the parts you get and the tools you need. the have also got real picture for taking the old shoes off and putting the new ones on. it gives you advice regarding weights and springs mainly for the people new to the great hobby of rc cars!!!

i give the instructions a 9 out of 10.

The shoes
new028.jpg

they are made of aluminum. hpi say they "offers a faster initial take off. Aluminium clutch shoes also offer greater durability thus making them an excellent choice for use with higher power engines and for extreme users."

shoes compared to my old stock teflon shoes.
new040.jpg

hopefully they should last a long time.

The springs and weights
new035.jpg

there are two types of spings on offer
gold are the stronger springs for bigger engines i think about 4.6 upwards
silver are the softer springs for smaller engines again i think 4.1 and down

the weights are for the bigger engines as i said 4.6 upwards.

as i have an axial .32 I'm using gold springs and weights.
new044.jpg

shoe with weight in.
new042.jpg

i am fitting them on the stock 3 pin flywheel.
first shoe.
new046.jpg

second shoe
new052.jpg

third shoe
new053.jpg

new054.jpg

new058.jpg

The shoes are very easy to fit and sit very well. i actually found it enjoyable to fit them it may sound a bit sad but it was really that easy. all you need is a flat head screwdriver to push the spring down in to the dedicated notch on the flywheel nut.

all together and ready to run!!!
new063.jpg

this is going to be an ongoing review i will take pictures of the shoes after the first 160cc tank
fifth tank
and tenth tank

part 2

for a start I'm sorry i haven't done this earlier i have been a bit busy.
but anyway after 2 tanks i have an update.
i was driving first on a smooth road and doing high speeds straights. i then moved off road to test the clutch even more! the clutch was very responsive and had a good all round performance. after i run the truck i got the engine out and took some pictures of the clutch. so here they are.

new001.jpg

new004.jpg

and this is how the clutch bell looks

new005.jpg

and now for some videos

there are a few more videos if you would like them.
i would recomend this clutch for everyone who whants some fun!
i will keep you up to date.
i have also got some vids of me doing llght bashing with the new clutch. i cant go that fast at th moment in one of my bashing spots as, as you will see its a bit over grown!!

all updates will be added to this post so please check it regularly! i will have the next part of my review up next weekend when i have some time off from school!

thanks for reading hope you enjoyed it.
if you have any tests you would like me to do please just ask and driving in to a pole (like others have done) does NOT count as a test. lol
sorry if the pictures are too big!
and thanks again to mega!!!
thanks again
4x4

Last edited by a moderator:
ya those shoes work pretty good i have them on my xss basher bout 2 gals or so on them....they have quite a bit of wear on them but still doing their job quite well, a bit pricey compared to some other shoe sets out there but then again ya have to factor in the extra probably 30% or so that was added to the price for having a name brand on the package lol

They're definitely more expensive than other aluminum shoe sets, but most other sets don't include springs at all, much less multiple sets, and few are adjustable as these are.

Also, they're cheaper from other sources. ;)

They're definitely more expensive than other aluminum shoe sets, but most other sets don't include springs at all, much less multiple sets, and few are adjustable as these are.

Also, they're cheaper from other sources. ;)

.. I agree , springs are a plus .. They looks weird, Guess I am used to nova

hey
i am going to add more to this review i have just been very busy at the moment i will add more as soon as i can!!!
thanks
4x4

great start on your review!!! your pics are nice and clear so its easier to tell how your putting it together and you have explained the installation well to so its easy to understand!!!!:10:

only shoe i run love them last 4 gallons if you de bur them and they are adjustable with springs and weights

thanks for the comments!
4x4

thanks for the comment. ill keep you up to date
4x4

Members online

No members online now.
Back