4.6 starting problems (idle)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

savage4.6matt

just bought a 'as new' savage x 4.6 BB,

it will kick up & idle for a second if not 2 then die, i have done all the trouble shootings & reset all screws to factory & tweaked them slightly

Av spend hours on this now & can not get the car to idle or if it does as soon as i touch the gas, even slightly its die's :(

The previous owner used 25% fuel & i i've been using 20%, could that be it??

i've unflooded it by undoin the glow plug & turned the engine over so the extra fuel comes out, can the battery's affect it? :Mr.confused:

realy running out of idea's now :(

thanks in advance, matt

Last edited by a moderator:
I see one of 3 things possible: Your running to rich and you should turn the HSN about 1/2 turn from flush for break-in, Your idle is to low and should be turned up, your glow plug is bad.

ya i was going to say its probabally the idle is set to low and it wont stay running no matter what u do if it is!!

ok will try it tomorrow& get back with the results, wots all this hsp & lsp (sorry newbie)

..also it takes alot to turn the engine by hand is that good or bad?

hey i had da same prob trying 2 tune it (have u got a big blister between your fingers yet or do u have da roto start :))

just for general knowlege hsn is the high speed needle and the lsn is the low speed needle i will try 2 get a link 4 you.

ok now down 2 business
if the motor dies when you give it some throttle it could mean that your hsn is too ritch and this will put out da glow plug to cure this you can lean out da hsn i would also recomend try a different glow plug and a different glow starter.
if you cant get it to idle you could tyr 2 bring da idle up by opening up da carb slide by da little flat head screw.

if dat don't work i don't know wot 2 do
Hope dis helps
Cya Rex_ Hvn

If it's second hand try turning the fly wheel over by hand and check how much hard it is to turn the engine over. Yeah but read a few tuning guides and read what the manual says about tuning and you should be OK.

It's normally a good thing if it takes a bit of force to turn the engine over (not too much of course). It means there is still compression left in the engine.

Check your clutch. Springs may be worn allowing the shoes to drag. Seen it before. everyone forgets the clutches will do this.

Like others have recommended check the pinch by turning the flywheel. Normally start ups are due to GP, or low idle. The idle gap of the carb should be at least 1mm. Take the filter off and make the gap 1 1/2mm then tune. also make sure your throttle linkage is set up right! Center the servo. Also if switching nitro % you may need to change the temp of GP from 20%-25% I would go a little hotter plug.

THANKS for all the advise! got her running better today but still cant get it to idle 100%, if i touch the rev abit it works 95% of the time then will rev then stalls if let of or brake.

Tweaked it abit more then after nearly getting there the glow start run out lol! so have to try again tomorrow 'i will get this bugger running!' :chainkiller:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back