3 speed transmission shifting problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikemikek129

added 3 speed gears to a 2 speed transmission case! That was first mistake! so can any one give me some advise on how to get the transmassion to shift from 1st to 2nd, so i think i'm in 1st or maybe starting in 2nd if that is possable? on that note! I have pulled apart a total of 3 times to adjusted 2nd clutch. 1st time disassembled, lift clutches with no adjustments (right out of box).2nd disassembled adjusted clutch 2nd gear 2 & 1/2 turns 3rd gear 3 turns, 3rd disassembled adjusted 2nd clutch 3 turns, 3rd gear 6 turns so it will not ingage 3rd gear so i don't get any more fustrated! if some one could give me some of their fustrated experiences with this issue i would be greatly thanked! NOTE: I'm working with a OS .30 VG with a werks clutch, 14/50 bell,steel gear with no slipper pad,stock tires,RD logics pipe ,blue thunder 30% fuel.
thanks for input.
mikemikek129

Are you sure it is not shifting? With the 3 speed it is difficult to hear the shift from 1st to 2nd. It shifts very quick.

This is the problem I had with the HPI K4.6 I run. With the gearing I was using (15/49)combined with the higher power engine, I found that the change from 1st to 2nd was almost instant. So taking the very low gearing and the engine your running, I would say this is definately the case. I thought it wasn't working but it was, I just couldn't tell. You can sometimes here it work if you accelerate gently, if not you will have to adjust the clutch slightly. This is a pain if your using a standard Savage G/box as I do, because you have to keep removing the G/box. Make sure you are adjusting the right one, you need to adjust the clutch furthest away from the spur gear end. You need to be patient beacuse it may take several attempts to get it right. I found that a half turn in on the screw was just right, but all engines / set ups will differ. Also I found that if you cut out the change from 2nd to 3rd by turning the screw all the way in (it doesn't need to be too tight), you can just concentrate on the 1st to 2nd. Once you have this set up to your liking, then you can just adjust the 2nd to 3rd in the normal way without removing the G/box. I would definately say this is your problem, as HPI set up the clutches for use with smaller engines.

Last edited by a moderator:
:10: Good call Hopit! Thats the way to do it.

Are you sure it is not shifting? With the 3 speed it is difficult to hear the shift from 1st to 2nd. It shifts very quick.

I have the 3 speed kit and the 1st to 2nd shift is very hard to hear unless you go really slow on take off. I never had to change any gearing or shift ppoints either run great whithout any changes

When I went from the stock .25 to the Axial .28 I had to change the shift points on my 2 and my 3 speed. Not saying you didnt change yours Savage89. But altitude, tune, engine temp, gearing and tires all have an effect on shift points.
EDIT:(Savage98) By changing the shift points you will hear the shifts again and make better use of the engines power. JM2C

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for all the input i adjusted 3rd gear counter clock wise 2 turns made it shift in 3rd, (1st time i see it shift) know taking apart to set 2nd shift clockwise (shift later can't hear or see 1st to 2nd) till i see it shift then adjust 3rd clockwise to shift a little later, i'm in the process know. also look for starting system that i will post for tyger drive upgrade with sportwerks starter(s little work but worth the hassle bullet proof set-up!!!
thanks again
mikemikek129

I'm sure that if your truck started off in 2nd gear u would notice the power lag difference just like in a real automobile.....it would have a great deal of lag...

not really depending on the torque of the motor you will not see it. some of the motors we are using we could lock out first and run 2nd and 3rd. the trucks would perform the same.

Latest posts

Members online

Back