2019/05/25 Savage Flux HP on 6S with 47/17 gearing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olds97_lss

HPISF Supporter
First time on 6S. Running trencher 3.8 tires and I need to wrap them. Made it 7 minutes before one came unglued. I swapped out the fronts with my outcast which has the same tires, but wrapped with kevlar string. I didn't want to have a blow out and ruin the tire as they have very little wear on them and I like running them. The rears held on, but it did make for some weird handling in the air and when opening up the throttle.

The kevlar string broke on one tire, not sure why, it looked pretty frayed. Probably got nicked up when I was bashing at a site last with the outcast that had dirt/rocks. Now I have to remove it from the tire without ruining the tire, then put it back on. Lesson learned, don't glue the stupid string all they way around the tire! I did that on all 4 of my outcast trenchers. Now I'll fix this one, then put kevlar string on the savage trenchers too.

It seemed to do ok on 6S. I only got close to WOT once though, then lost control and it went tumbling. I'm running a nitro savage RRP 47T spur with the super 5SC center diff that has 750K in it or there abouts (2/3 500k-1/3 1M). The MMX got up to 130F and the 2200kv sensored motor got to 121F. That was near the end of a second set of packs. I got almost 17 minutes of run time, which was pretty constant. I forgot to shut off the timer when swapping the tires out 7 minutes in on the first set. I ran them back to back to try to keep the heat up so I could see how it did and if I needed to revisit the gearing. It was about 75-80F today during the second set of packs. For the first set, there was a cold front that rolled in and I got rained on a bit, so it was cooler around 70F. I was pretty easy on it for the first set anyway trying to get a feel for it. Haven't driven the truck since last year and then was on 4S with a different transmitter.

Working on my outcast footage now. I ran it for a pack (about 19 minutes) and started getting stupid, so decided to not run a second set. LOL!

Was a good day!

Very cool olds. Those rear tires really turned into pizza cutters lol. Glad to see the cd handled well, think might have to look into doing it to my XL flux, its always a heart stopping moment when landing a big jump with the stock tranny . Have you thought of going to the xl chassis now you have gone up to 6s ?

Very cool olds. Those rear tires really turned into pizza cutters lol. Glad to see the cd handled well, think might have to look into doing it to my XL flux, its always a heart stopping moment when landing a big jump with the stock tranny . Have you thought of going to the xl chassis now you have gone up to 6s ?
I just finished wrapping them with kevlar string, so now all 4 will be wrapped. I also reglued the front one that came loose a bit.

The XL won't fit in my carry bag, which is partly why I like the shorter chassis trucks. I also like how twitchy shorter chassis can be as it adds to the fun. That's also why I got the outcast instead of the kraton. A bit tougher to work on, since it's more cramped, but I still can fit it in my bag and it's fun to drive.

Latest posts

Members online

Back