2019/04/20 - Bashing my Savage X at the BMX track

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olds97_lss

HPISF Supporter
I dropped the bell down to run 16/47 with the tires I had before (traxxas max 3.3 tires), but then ordered a set of extended axle stubs then modified some 17mm extensions like I did on my Flux so I could run a set of trenchers. I should have dropped the bell down to at least a 15T as it had a hard time pulling those tires in the grass. Also has been a year or so since I ran this thing last, so the tune was all out of whack.

Still had a good time. Shredded the brake disks after 3-4 tanks of tuning and trying to hit some jumps, so the jumps had to either be hit perfect... or ended badly.

Nothing broken other than the body getting mashed up even more and the brakes. Got a new set of brakes and a 15T bell coming in the mail. Fun to run nitro again. Now if I could just tune the stupid thing better! LOL! I'm a bit rusty to say the least!

Forgot how nice it lands, when you land on all 4 tires. Just soft and plush. Got so used to my outcast just smacking the ground.

Sad to say, I run electric mostly these days. Ran nitro only for 18 years, but places I bashed at started drying up, especially for noisy stuff as they started building stuff on or near the places I ran. Started electric a couple years ago and now I run them most of the time.

Last night I installed a pair of FullForceRC CF disks and a 15T... the bell rubbed on the disks. I looked at the gearing chart for the savage and it appears 16/47 shouldn't have fit either. Kind of makes me wonder if it was also rubbing on the disks which is why the rear one exploded.

I raised the engine with 2mm shims and ground a bit out of the chassis rail to clear the engine mount bolts on the engine flange. Now has 15/47 with plenty of clearance between the cb/disks.

i ran 15-47 for years. great top end and control tames the big big mills down little bit.
Well, it wouldn't fit on the X. I couldn't move the motor over enough to get good mesh. Which is why I raised it.

The 25 comes with 17/47 factory gearing, which seems high to me. I used to run 15/16 52 back in the day when I ran the OS21RG, which wasn't that strong of an engine, just reliable. The LRP28 and 30 can pull 17/47 with GT2 tires, but not well with these tires. Probably time for new clutch shoes... the ones I have in it are from a 1/8th buggy I think and are worn down a bit. I didn't have any others.

Was hoping to try it out this weekend, but supposed to snow again. I'm not fighting with nitro in the cold. Just not worth the hassle.

Olds nice video, what camera do u have on truck and how did u fasten it ?
Thanks.

On the truck I have a gopro hero5 session. How I attach is evolving a bit... In the past, I used a typical aluminum cage and camera mount. This puts the camera up high, so I was drilling holes in the side of the body, then putting a mounting plate there. This had issues handling impact. Either the camera would fly off as it popped out of the clip plate, or the clip plate would shatter and lose the camera. In either case, the extra leverage/weight of the camera really damaged the body by flexing the body a lot over a very short time unless I just drove around and didn't jump.

So, on my nitro savage, the body is in pretty rough shape, so I thought I'd try something new. I got a new aluminum cage that allowed me to remove the leg on the bottom. Then I used industrial velcro (the hard plastic stuff). That didn't work either, first jump and the camera went flying. So, then I put a couple extra holes in the body, locked the camera into the velcro, then ran a ziptie around the camera. This worked finally... until the ziptie tore through the body.

So, I think I'll make an aluminum plate under the body and rivet it to the body in a few locations. Then drill holes in that as well as the body and use velcro strap. Then the aluminum is taking all the stress/strain vs just the plastic shell. I'll see how that does.

Having it strapped to the hood seems to limit the body damage due to flex/bending like when I mounted it to the side. Now it's just a matter of making something stronger under the body so the velcro/zipties don't just rip through the lexan.

I like having the FPV in the video, but it's been quite a challenge to get the camera to cooperate. Also, it makes editing take longer as I have to edit both streams at the same time and the tool I use doesn't allow me to do as much nice stuff with the slow motion, so editing is a bit limited. I still like having it though. Makes the footage more interesting to me.

Latest posts

Members online

Back