2 speed tranny help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dman1982

I bought a metal gear upgrade for my tranny, and the one gear had 3 screws facing towards the other gears, the new metal gear only has 2, what are these screws for? And do they go on the inside as well? Here's a couple pics of what I'm working with

Attachments

• 20171013_173919.jpg
    20171013_173919.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 20171013_173928.jpg
    20171013_173928.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 1
The first few versions of a savage had a 2 pin 2nd gear with a thin metal cap that the unthreaded portion of the 2 speed pin would rest in to give it support. This ended up being a fairly weak setup, especially when higher power engines came out and people started shearing off the 2 speed catch pins.

This: https://www.hpiracing.com/en/part/76929
76929_76929_01p_800_600.jpg

was replaced with this: https://www.hpiracing.com/en/part/87227
87227_87227_01p_800_600.jpg

The metal ring you see in the second one has cut outs in the underside of it for the 2-speed pawl to catch, instead of the small screw/pins that screw through the back of the plastic gear the first version used. The metal ring was held on with 3 screws from the back side into 3 threaded holes in the ring itself and as you see in the photo, there are 3 plastic lobes on the spur that keyed into the 3 notches on the ring, so the screws were basically just holding the ring on while the plastic lobes gave it strength.

The old one used a thin stamped metal plate and two flush mount screws holding it onto the gear from the front. The 2 speed pawl would swing out and catch one of the two pins. Eventually, the pin would snap, or bend and come out of the thin metal plate, then the trans would either lock up or grenade from the screw/pin banging around in there loose.

Version 2 came standard at least since the X and perhaps with the older 25 savage.

Your alloy gear was built to replace the original setup, not the newer/stronger setup.

I mean looking at it and reading your reply it seems like it would and seems to under finger testing, but this is my first rodeo with this tranny....

You will need the thin steel plate that the gen1 uses. You mentioned that yours uses 3 screws, which leads me to believe you have the gear with the heavy duty ring vs the thin plate.

Without the plate at least for the ends of the pawl catch pins to key into, they will likely bend over/snap off after a few shifts. I put a box around it here:
2017-1014-HPISavage2-speed-V1-edited.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Back