2 new shells on savage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GIRLYPANTS

got given the savage shell, i quite like it

DSC01948.jpg

the landy shell i painted and stickered myself, turned out good

DSC01945.jpg

I'm very pleased with the look of both

Last edited by a moderator:
I like that first body, I painted the same one last night for my Savage but it didn't turn out the way I expected. I painted it Candy Blue with Spatz Stix paint and followed there instructions to a tee, even used their paint prep. As the blue dried it cracked and when I painted the silver it showed thru the blue, this is the second body I have painted that done the same thing, the other was with a Candy Red. What am I doing wrong? Am I putting to heavy of a coat on it at a time? I have had no problem when using solid color paint, just with the candy colors.

Not done any candy color paint jobs and even still my paint skills are horrible. Maybe our local painting guru @NCNitro will chime in!

I have used the Spaz Stix hard metal paints many times, not sure if the candy is the same. Anyway, if you are getting cracking you are putting it on too thick. You want to do several light even coats and allow the coats to dry between them. For the hard anno colors I will do anywhere from 4-5 light coats before backing them with chrome, and finishing with black. I have not had any issues with cracking or bleeding. Also, what air pressure are you shooting at? As far as prep, I trim the body first, then wash it well with dish soap and water twice, dry, then wipe it down well with denatured alcohol twice before painting. This will get any mold release from inside the body of which can also cause adhesion issues.

malfunction2.jpg

malfunction1.jpg

Thanks. I was thinking I might be putting to heavy of a coat, I am pretty impatient. I have to get a new body for my Losi LST, I will try it again with lighter coats and see how it turns out. I don't have a air brush so I am using the Spatz Stix aresol cans.

It's real easy to lay down too heavy of a coat with spray can, just take your time, nice light even coats and you should be fine. People have a tendency to want to see full coverage from the first coat, you won't if you are doing it right, several light coats is the only way to go. Post up some pics when you try again, I would like to see the results. Good luck!

Thanks, I ordered a new body this morning. I will see if I cant get this one right.

I vote for the green. Run the black one first. Keep the green on the shelf for a while.

Woodie.... I paint a lot of Candy and I use Faskolor Fasescent, and faslucent colors, usually two or three light coats (a little heavier on the last coat). Both of these paints come in a variety of colors and they are basically transparent. After your last coat, you should still be able to see thru them. When dry, just back with Faskolor Gold to make the paint opaque and the color will POP. Sometimes I use two coats of Gold and some times it only takes one. You'll be able to tell whether you need a second coat of gold or not. You want it to cover smooth. Just don't get in a hurry and be sure the coats are dry before laying down the next. I use a hair dryer on low to help the drying process.:)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back