2.4Ghz Systems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jammer

Hey All,

After having used the stock HPI stuff for a while now I really have come to the conclusion that I hate it!! urgh! I've also deceided that I definitely want to upgrade to a 2.4Ghz system. I'm also pining after sticks again, the wheel systems are OK but I think I wanna go back to sticks. That said I have included a couple of wheel systems in the links below since if I find one for a decent price I wouldn't ignore a good deal.

If you use any of these systems/transmitters with your Savage I'd love to know what you think. Also I'm noticing that a few manufacturers aren't even doing 2.4Ghz systems ... HiTec haven't got one on their site. Would also like to hear about anything that I've not listed.

Futaba seems to be leading the way with 2.4Ghz without getting into systems with silly numbers of channels. If I was looking for wheel controllers Spektrum would probably have it sewn up but to get a stick controller from them at 2.4Ghz you end up with a 6 channel system that you need to make "stick guides" for as they are multifunction sticks! = pointless nightmare.

Futaba - 3VCS (this is my current fave system)

http://2.4gigahertz.com/systems/futk3000.html

Futaba - 3PK

http://2.4gigahertz.com/systems/futk2015.html

Futaba - 3PM

http://2.4gigahertz.com/systems/futk2020.html

I can't find an Acoms or Sanwa home page and the Acoms controllers look horrid anyway. HiTec haven't got a single 2.4Ghz system on their site! And JR only seem to do 2.4Ghz systems for their air controllers again with multifunction sticks and silly channel counts (silly at least for a car!). http://www.multiplexusa.com/product_fs.htm only do pistol and no 2.4Ghz either.

Hmm ... these stick/2.4ghz for cars are thin on the ground ... the best by far seems to be the 3VCS from Futaba.

Any thoughts would be great ...

spctrum dx3.0 is good i love mine and it came with two recivers aslo have you looked at the momadios radios

Thanks drivefastgto ... airtronics don't do any 2.4ghz systems by the look of it.

bigdan ... google doesn't return anything for "momadios radios" ...

Well I run 2 Futaba 3PM 2.4 Ghz radios and love the both of them, I have had no issues. They have more options than you will ever need but are kind of fun to have and play with. This is also a inexpensave upgrade that is more than worth it. I can't even believe that I ever ran anything else as they are so much better. I will never ever use anything different thatn 2.4 atleast untill something better comes out. You are correct Futaba seems to be the best in there 2.4 systems. My pro does use one of the JR 2.4's for his heli and likes it. However, Futaba just came out with the 2.4 in the stick remotes. Personally I will always run a pistol grip on all my land cars and so on. You may have a little finner movements with the stick though. The futabas are nice because they use a very nice soft foam on the wheel and the tension of the wheel is adjustable. They are also very smooth in there actions expecially compaired to the stock cheap radios. Anyway I'm talking and talking so Ill shut up if you got questions please ask!

I use airtronics m-11 with spektrum module. Great radio just a little over kill. Spektrum is the way to go! No worries at large races anymore.

I use a Nomadio Sensor (the react is the same radio, I think it only has a smaller display), wont use anything esle now, I had wante one for quite a while but held out because of price, finally I found one on ebay for about half oprice. Now that I have one, if it broke I wouldnt hesiatate to buy another one. this thing is totally glitch free, and comes with everysetting you can imagine also does real time telemetry. It comes with a cable and PC software too.

I would suggest downloading the manuals and PC software (if they come with it) on the radios your interested in, read through the manual and install the software and play with it. You get a good ifdea of what settings you have with the pc software than trying to stay interested in reading through the manuals IMO.

Heres some links

This is a pretty good post from here on HPISF
https://www.hpisavageforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=27623&postcount=9

Nomadio website, (PC software and info)
http://www.nomadio.net/index.php

Nomadio sensor
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&P=SM&I=LXLKU7

Nomadio react
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&P=SM&I=LXPHN6

wow thanks guys ... i'm actually now seriously interested in one of those nomadio wheel controllers!!!! they look awesome!

I don't think i've come across *any* other controller that has PC software other than those big *** 14 channel things from futaba.

and it can double as a joystick for your pc games!!!!!!!!!! how cool is that??????

much appreciated everyone!

I have 2 DX3/0 systems and they work great. No matter which brand you go with the 2.4ghz is definitely the way to go.
Nice thing about the Spektrum is the built in failsafe.

wow thanks guys ... i'm actually now seriously interested in one of those nomadio wheel controllers!!!! they look awesome!

I don't think I've come across *any* other controller that has PC software other than those big *** 14 channel things from futaba.

and it can double as a joystick for your pc games!!!!!!!!!! how cool is that??????

much appreciated everyone!

You will love the Nomaido, if thats what you go for. I have the Sensor, so I am not sure what the react is like, but I have heard they are the same radios, just different displays. I made a thread in here of how I installed the tach/speed sensor and set up for the gearing and tires.

The Nomaido has the failsafe, antilock bakes, just go through the software, and you will See all the features. It will run without the radio. There are some settings I still don't understand, like autostart and a few others.

It has 4 channels too, I never thought I would use the 4th, but Just yesterday I decided to use it to activate the Nitrous oxide injector.

If you get it and have any questions Just ask, if I miss the thread, PM me, and point me to it. (the 4th channel is on the same connector marked power, you need a Y-harness to use it, one end to power the other to the servo or whatever you want to control)

Important: IF YOU GO WITH THE NOMADIO, EITHER RADIO USES THE TAME TRANSCEIVER (RX) MAKE SURE YOU GET THE NEWER VERSION 2 (V2) TRANSCEIVER. THE OTHER ONE IS A LITTLE TOO BIG TO FIT IN THE SAVAGE RADIO BOX. the v2 fits easily, even with all the sensors plugged in.

John

Last edited by a moderator:
The futaba radios have a built in fail safe as well, along with the antilock brakes as well as many more options which I'm sure the other radios listed here have.

You will love the Nomaido, if thats what you go for. I have the Sensor, so I am not sure what the react is like, but I have heard they are the same radios, just different displays. I made a thread in here of how I installed the tach/speed sensor and set up for the gearing and tires.

The Nomaido has the failsafe, antilock bakes, just go through the software, and you will See all the features. It will run without the radio. There are some settings I still don't understand, like autostart and a few others.

It has 4 channels too, I never thought I would use the 4th, but Just yesterday I decided to use it to activate the Nitrous oxide injector.

If you get it and have any questions Just ask, if I miss the thread, PM me, and point me to it. (the 4th channel is on the same connector marked power, you need a Y-harness to use it, one end to power the other to the servo or whatever you want to control)

Important: IF YOU GO WITH THE NOMADIO, EITHER RADIO USES THE TAME TRANSCEIVER (RX) MAKE SURE YOU GET THE NEWER VERSION 2 (V2) TRANSCEIVER. THE OTHER ONE IS A LITTLE TOO BIG TO FIT IN THE SAVAGE RADIO BOX. the v2 fits easily, even with all the sensors plugged in.

John

thats great john thanks for the input. really helpful.

just one question ... NITROS OXIDE??????????? you have a supercharger or something??? sounds insane!

Whilst I was reading about that one the autostart did confude me as well, could this be for installing an electric start??? is there even such a thing available for a savage?

thanks again!

scary ...

Just got back from running a few tanks through my truck (up to 1 gallon through it now) and its starting to run really nicely. 2nd gear is scary in a car park! not enough room!!

Anyway, I just popped into my LHS and had a look at the spektrum 2.4Ghz stick controller. Looks really nice ...

Don't know if anyone can confirm this but the chap in the shop said that the spektrum setups are the only true 2.4ghz systems as they actually own the patent on it for RC cars ...

he also said that Futaba are having problems with their '2.4Hgz' systems loosing their codings if you switch the transmitter on and off quickly!!! He said he's got a recoding block to fix it if it happens ... !!!!

Anyone know any more about this?

I'm pretty sure spektrum was the first 2.4ghz system. As for them being the only true system, I don't think thats accurate.
I haven't heard of any problems with the futaba, but I had a similar problem with my spektrum. I just had to rebind it and it was good.

scary ...

Just got back from running a few tanks through my truck (up to 1 gallon through it now) and its starting to run really nicely. 2nd gear is scary in a car park! not enough room!!

Anyway, I just popped into my LHS and had a look at the spektrum 2.4Ghz stick controller. Looks really nice ...

Don't know if anyone can confirm this but the chap in the shop said that the spektrum setups are the only true 2.4ghz systems as they actually own the patent on it for RC cars ...

he also said that Futaba are having problems with their '2.4Hgz' systems loosing their codings if you switch the transmitter on and off quickly!!! He said he's got a recoding block to fix it if it happens ... !!!!

Anyone know any more about this?

That doesnt sound right to me, to own a patent on a frequency. I know for sue the nomadio's can lock on to the specktrum rx's and can be used with the radio.

You're right John. I don't think you can hold a patent on the freq. Maybe the technology behind the channel changing but I'm not even sure about that. I know Futaba says their Tx and RX are not compatible with Spektrum, but I don't know exactly why.

You're right John. I don't think you can hold a patent on the freq. Maybe the technology behind the channel changing but I'm not even sure about that. I know Futaba says their Tx and RX are not compatible with Spektrum, but I don't know exactly why.

I was thinking parts of it may be patented, but I am sure all readio have some patents on them

Here is where it tells how to connect to the speckdrum rx's with a nomadio, you have to choose a different type of frequency finding, Actually they call it "Daslowmode" DSM

http://support.nomadio.net/viewtopic.php?t=2117&highlight=spektrum

Latest posts

Members online

Back