17mm wheel extensions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Distrait

17mm wheel extensions **Update w/Pics March 13 '09**

Some of you may have seen me in the shoutbox today asking about the 17mm wheel extensions. I was looking at getting the XL extensions before I saw the aluminum one piece style (hex is part of the exension).

After looking at them and pulling out my drive cup, I decided I'd have a go at making them myself. Did a prototype this afternoon from aluminum, I might make them from steel next time and have them hardened, as I don't think they'll add THAT much weight and it will be much stronger!

First thing I noticed after I made the prototype is that the pocket inside the rims isn't exactly 17mm, they're slightly bigger so there is a bit of play between the hex and the pocket.

DSCN173050.jpg

DSCN172950.jpg

DSCN173150.jpg

With my version, the extension actually screws onto the cup/shaft and also uses the dowel pin and set screw to hold it in place.

*Update*

Got the first set completed and installed, snuck them in with some black anodizing at work :) Pics:

17mm_extensions_black.jpg

17mm_extensions_installed.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks guys. I'm hoping that if I make them out of steel and get them hardened, I won't need replacements. I don't think those plastic rims will wear hardened steel at all :jamout:

thanks!

So what do you guys think, if they were made of steel, would it add too much rotational weight? Kill my diffs?

Thanks again!

Started machining the real ones today, going with aluminum for now. All I had to work with was 6061, so we'll see how they hold up.

great work buddy!! I'm using the nova wheel extensions and love them so its nice to see someone with the know how to make them themselves!!

Nice work Distrait. IMO steel would not put much extra stain on the diffs, because the diameter is only small. The biggest stress to the diffs/drive train is from large diameter heavy wheels/tyres.Think of it as a flywheel. A large diameter flywheel takes a lot more effort to turn than a smaller one of equal thickness.
The steel extensions would add extra stress to the suspension components, but not really the diffs.

Thanks for the reply, I'll keep that in mind for the next set :)

Awesome work buddy, would it be a good idea to drill a hole all the way thru. This would allow you to use the Grub screws from the center dog bones to hold this to the Drive cup. This would help keep them on and also keep them from spinning under high load's. You may not need it but it wouldn't be a bad idea.

Awesome work buddy, would it be a good idea to drill a hole all the way thru. This would allow you to use the Grub screws from the center dog bones to hold this to the Drive cup. This would help keep them on and also keep them from spinning under high load's. You may not need it but it wouldn't be a bad idea.

Not 100% sure what you mean here, but I am using the stock pins to prevent them from spinning under load.

AHHH never mind my statement. I see what your doing. I missed the hole on the other side, LOL. My bad.

Awesome work. So missed this thread. You still planning on making these at any point? or was this more of a project you wanted to do for yourself? I like the anodized black.

]-[0pa]0ng;106326 said:
Awesome work. So missed this thread. You still planning on making these at any point? or was this more of a project you wanted to do for yourself? I like the anodized black.

Don't think I can produce them for what people would be willing to pay for them... but perhaps If enough people are interested. I'd probably be better off doing custom stuff here and there.

Latest posts

Members online

Back