17/47 or 19/47 ???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I`m running the stock 17/47 gearing in my SS with K4.6 motor and was wondering if anyone has experience with the 19/47 gearing setup. Can you still wheelie from standstill with that setup?

My ideal would be to be able to wheelie from standstill but have more top end speed than with the 17/47 setup (I find top end a bit dissapointing, low end grunt is very nice).

Oh hell yeah U can much easyer I had to softin up my rear shocks a little cause to much wheelies but I can still pull them easy but I went both metal and the racing clutch bell with the vents. Top speed is a lot more but I also have the 3-speed trans so that also might have something to do with all this.

I have not found a gear set up that my hpi 4.6k wont wheelie with......lol

go for it bud.

Hey Jeff, Do you have a 2 speed or 3 speed? What tires are you running? these also make a difference in gearing and what cb/spur you can run. Personally I have found the the 16/47 or 17/47 to be the best overall performing combo with the 3 speed on stock size tires. If you go to tall on your gearing, it can actually hurt your top end. Meaning the engine cannot pull to much gear once it passes its torque curve, especially with stock mill. Now saying you put a more powerful mill in, you could definitely jump up on the gearing.

19/47 is too tall of a gear foer the mill to handle over a period of time. I would go no bigger then 18/47. Get the 3 speed tranny upgrade to the taller gearing

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if 19/47 is a good choice. You will loose alot of bottom end as you are going to 2.47:1 gearing from 2.76:1. It may lift the wheels yet but I'm not sure what you all do. If you race you may want to stay 17/49. The Savage isnt ment for speed. You can try it and see what it does. CB's are fairly inexpensave. Good luck.

I'm running the 47 / 19

it wheelies in the power band not off the line, it will flip over on its lid in the powerband if i don't back off

There is no dought in my mind that it wont wheelie but you will loose a quite a bit of low end power going with this gearing. As for me it would never work as i really like to climb huge sand/rock piles and want good power but not to much. I really like 17/49 which is 2.88:1.

my other savy 52 / 17 = 3.05 I have run the 52 / 15 but, alittle too low. lol

talk about lowend power it is sick

man I'm still learning new things! lol I'm still running the stock gearing that came with my 4.1 which is 15/49 and it wheelies nice lol

my truck came with the 18t clutch bell as a extra in the box so I'm just curious how that setup works (18/49) anyone run this gearing?

I tryed it right away. I liked the gain in speed. but missed the low end power, the truck would still lift the front wheels off the ground. I decided to go 17/49 to be in the middle. It worked great.

I tryed it right away. I liked the gain in speed. but missed the low end power, the truck would still lift the front wheels off the ground. I decided to go 17/49 to be in the middle. It worked great.

cool thanks for the info buddy!!!!!:cheers:

I have run the 17/47 (stock), 17/49, and am currently running 18/52 with the 3 speed.

The stock X gearing (17/47) works really well.
The 17/49 offers a bit more low end with a small sacrifice to top end.

The 18/52 with the 3 speed has INSANE bottom end
(requiring some suspension tuning) with a top end comparable to the 17/49.
If HPI ever gets their high speed 3rd gear setup out, I am guessing I can match the 17/47 top end, while retaining the crazy bottom end torque.

I believe the stock X gearing is 16/49, The later kits like mine came with a 18T CB just thrown in along with aluminum Diff cups and a few other extra parts.

My X came stock with 17/47. I have the RTR version though. I dig it but I need the 3 speed! Hopefully the high speed setup will be out by then.

My X came stock with 17/47. I have the RTR version though. I dig it but I need the 3 speed! Hopefully the high speed setup will be out by then.

What you need is a engine block .... lol sorry had to say it

to be honest i went to check as well cuz i thought i might of been wrong!! lmao ya that gearing has awsome take off and wheelies but u loose top speed!! but I'm never on a track or anything so i don't need the extra speed!!!! thats why i haven't put the 18t clutch bell on that came as a extra in the box!! lol
"gotta love them wheelies............"

I may be going back to a 15 or 16T CB as I have recently put on the FLM Extended chassis, but ir really depends on what I do with a motor from here on.

hello everyone i was curious to know if anyone knew the shift points for a savage 4.6 with a 3 speed tranny running on 19/47 gearing, should i change the gearing for more wheelies? please let me know! If i change my gearing please let me know the 3 speed settings.

There are no exact shift settings as several variables between car specs and locations. One way to set up is stop one gear from shifting at all (by screwing the adjuster fully in) then adjust the other. You don't want it shifting too soon or late, so at peak revs. You have to part dismantle to get to 2nd shifter. Wheelies are a personal choice and depends on tuning, tyre weight and surface grip.
3 speed sounds good but doesnt make much difference in top speed, a bit better on initial acceleration.
https://www.hpisavageforum.com/threads/great-info-on-3-speed.1726/

They had to supply an option high speed gear to actually make 3 speed faster than 2 speed.

Original 3 speed:
The topshaft 3rd gear has 24 teeth.
The middleshaft 3rd gear has 38 teeth.

77065 & Hi Speed 3 speed:
The topshaft 3rd gear has 26 teeth.
The middleshaft 3rd gear has 36 teeth.

that is for high speed 3rd gear option, so new 3 speed in 2006

Latest posts

Members online

Back