New With Racing A Savage.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hpiracing911

i am a weekend racer and would like to know more so i can beat the revos and lst's .. i run a revo 3.3 full mod.. and a stock revo 3.3 and a hellfire ss.. and i just sent my boat away for a savage.. the savage i got is worth about 2000 with all the stuff i got.. i know i would like to get a wing!
so here is what i got ... The engine in the truck is new just broke in and had 3 or 4tanks run through it is a hpi 4.6 big block. The other 2 engines are used but run strong,1 is a hpi 25 big block the other one is 21 big block. There's almost a nough parts to build another truck... its 90 percent alum,almost new has 3 speed trans k/n air filter all integy skid plates,even center skid plate front rear integy bumpers,fuel tank protector alum steering,this thing is sweet alum a arms and hubs dirt bonz tires has msr5 integy piggy back shocks,have many parts and chargers to go with it .Look under fritomans my model for pictures. if you want a sweet fast wheelie popping beast this is it have 2 spare engines in the pile they also run good have about 1,800,00 invested

so please can u help me out i am happy to be on this site getting some help!!!! thanks tyler

well to beat revos your gonna need a complete revamp. get away from aluminum and integy. theres only a few decent products available from them that are worth while. Aluminum makes your truck heavy and not as rurable. you want to look to RPM for upgradeable plastics. also stock mills arent the way. hpi 4.6 is good with potential but if you were to get into a picco or a LRP, or OS (nice plug for my sale thread) for example you would see a night and day difference. three speed is ok if you have along enough track to open it up ( and if you do get th high speed gears for it). get rid of the K&N as its not built for RC. lets too much uwanted dirt in. get a MOTO Saver or even the HPI filter is better. do a mid tank conversion to get rid of a half tank lean ext the TVPs to keep the nose down for the extra power, and put in some good servos, with a nice 2.4 set up which is a must for racing anyways. that should get you ahead of the pack.

Well honestly if you are going to be racing, ditch as much of that aluminum as you can, sorry to bust your bubble. Also remove the K&N air filter ASAP. The K&N works fine on cars but it lets WAY too much dirt and particles into these small engines. Get yourself a HPI filter or the Motor Saver filter. WAYYY better. The front bumpers will probably end up bending pretty quick, and when that happens I would suggest going back to the plastic. They are lighter and hold up way better. The A-arms will probably bend pretty quick also. The only metal A-Arms I would run is the Flextec arms. With any other metal, they bend easy and of course they will never be bent back to how they should be. They are also heavy compared to the stock ones plus it adds extra stress on the bulkheads because the impact it takes it gives to the bulks also because with the plastic arms they bend but bend right back to normal shape unlike metal arms.

If you can post a link to the pictures or post them in the thread.

Thanks

hey guys thanks alot.. what u guys run for rims and tiers..the track is allways wet down after evary 3 races..i have all the stuff to change the truck back to stock ...thanks for all your help!

if you want a sweet fast wheelie popping beast this is it have 2 spare engines in the pile they also run good have about 1,800,00 invested

so please can u help me out i am happy to be on this site getting some help!!!! thanks tyler

hey tyler. what help you lookin for exactly? seems like you love the truck the way it is, but also seem like you might be selling it?

For rims I just got some Maximizer beadlocks and tires I went with the Pro-line mulchers.

Great ideas guys. Remember LIGHT is FAST see signature for link, HEHE.

Your going to want some good shocks. The HPI Big Bores aren't bad and will save some weight. RPM Arms are lighter and stronger than stock and will take a lot of abuse. You can use fuel tubing to limit the travel in the shocks to give you a lower stance. Run a softer suspension if the track doesn't have huge jumps.

As for the powerhouse the best bet is to see Robin for a Modded Picco .28 which is in my sig as well. Your going to want to run some light weight smaller tires (Not 40 series). See Proline LRP crime fighters. You want some 1/2" offset Dish wheels and run 17mm hex's or larger.

Radio go to a digital 2.4ghz radio I am particular to Futaba. The 3PM FASST is a great inexpensive radio other wise there is the upgraded 4PK. You will want good powered fast servos and DIGITAL.

Alright enought, ask questions and Practice, Practice, Practice!

one more thing.... welcome to the forum

also look into shaving the knuckles on your upright set check how to section that will get you in the corners and out as fast as the revos. also where you from?

oh duh change the arms to rpm or stock plastic and keep the aluminum knuckles forget shaving if you have aluminum but if you have plastic knuckles shave them!!

oh duh change the arms to rpm or stock plastic and keep the aluminum knuckles forget shaving if you have aluminum but if you have plastic knuckles shave them!!

I believe the shaving randy is talking about there is a link in my signature as well called something like "Click for tighter turn radius how to".

Ok if you want to make your savage a racer get some good tires which you got with nubs also get a low stance on your truck so the a arms are level, do a mid tank mod there are many to chose from, I would get a wing if I were you, a good motor like picco or lrp, and go digital and 2.4ghz you will love it! And make sure you PRACTICE! thats about it for the basics.

Update

well since i was last on i did race last weekend..and well i took all 4 races home.. savage walked away..but i got used to the truck so i have a spair revo and i was thinking.. i have nice integy shock.. so i only have 4 of them on lose some waight..put the revo bottem ends on the shock to hold the spring on the bottom fit vary nice.. kept the stock integy spring and kept the shock ajuster on and got then the the revo adjuster on so the hellfire shocks fit on.. i will put some pics how i did it on here.. i also put a hellfire wing on it also fit vary nice on it.. i have some shock oil coming in the mail to help it out some more.. the truck sits vary nice front and back i got it set that a ruler site nice all the way across the a arms and the back.. still have the aluminum a arms upper and lower and and hubs.. and i payed the 40 buck for overnight shipping for the lrp.28 for the weekend so i wanted it face so i can get it all broke in and tunes to kick some ***.. i found the engine runs super smooth with the rd logics duel pipe out the back .. i find there is now air restiction going to the pipe it straight from the engine to the pipe.. looking into getting the Buku pipe. i would like to know how to put the pics on this page...

here is the link to the 1st race... mine is the blue truck with the loud pipe
i was taking my time 1st time out on the new track.. this weekend i am looking to push her limits

http://www.thomsonrctrack.com/apps/videos/videos/view/3319073-opening-day-fun-2

P1020400.jpg

Here is a look at a purpose built race savage, full carbon fiber and aslight as possible for the best performance.......

Did you ever figure out how to post pics of your savy up yet?? And I love your truck Sam

Hey Savagesam, where did you get you caron fiber chassis at? It is the extended chassis right?

Hey Savagesam, where did you get you caron fiber chassis at? It is the extended chassis right?

that is all PRC. its from Larson racing a member here. you can find him in the vendor section. He is also post 8 and 13 on this thread

Thanks Bankrupter! I found them, and sorry for heisting this thread but I have one more ? for the Pro's..
What is the weight difference between the HPI Extended TVP's and these: http://www.platinumrcproducts.com/prc%20107.html

DSC_0247.jpg

this truck is mine its 10 pounds in that pic - 11 with heavy tires

as far as durability http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49bQ5mCjuJg Ive yet to hurt it... For scale I'm in the black shirt brown hat on the top of the jump/berm, I'm 6'4. Though stuff !

Last edited by a moderator:
if you want a light tire....never count out Dirt Bonz. they are a dime a dozen on ebay and you can get wheels cheap. SPI aluminum wheels are awesome for racing too. those two right there can take a lot of YOUR driving out the equation and lets the truck do the work. all you got go is keep her straight.

if you want a light tire....never count out Dirt Bonz. they are a dime a dozen on ebay and you can get wheels cheap. SPI aluminum wheels are awesome for racing too. those two right there can take a lot of YOUR driving out the equation and lets the truck do the work. all you got go is keep her straight.

very true!!! dirt bonz are in that pic but I don't use them much at all... A offset rim helps the truck allot. I cant use full offsets like the spi's but love 1/2 offset like in that pic ... SPI should have them too I do imagine.

M411b: note the 1/2 offset on sams truck above that won the nationals. one of the best things you can do for stability like Matt (soulja55) says above.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.
Back