Could this cause a Flux Fire?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frddyj

Baddasz_Savage originally brought this to my attention.

I opened the case on my ESC & (by design) the wire for the switch & the wire going to the Rx are stacked on top of one another & the bottom of the case crimps them tight to hold them in place:

Look closely and you can see that the wires are crimped and the insulation can be easily cut/worn to the point where you could have a short:

DSC_0386.jpg

I took out the dremel with sanding drum & made each wire its own slot. Sealed it up with Liquid Electrical Tape:

DSC_0387.jpg

Its worth taking a look at yours to prevent an unfortunate situation. Here are directions to open your case: http://www.castlecreations.com/support/doban-ban-ban-ents/how_to_open_mamba_monster_case.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you glad you caught that now. HPI might have given that area a little more tolerance as not to be so prone to pinched line

Last edited by a moderator:
ya i would definately think over time that crimping would cause problems so great fix,everyone should check it.....

I think its like that for a reason. 22ga wire can't flex too much w/o breaking. I think it is a intentional strain relief.

any wire movement is outside of the case... keeps the wires from snapping off the board.

good point br. i got slack in the line & also have it wire-tied.

but put your thoughts on this: what "if" the insulation gets cut when they crimp it (which could happen pretty easily).

i'll pm this thread to ba and ask him to post his pic caz i can remember 100% but i think there might have been a cut or chafe in his. :dunno:

I doubt that these wires were the problem in mine. The problem with mine was obviously high voltage these wires are all love voltage probably under 6v. But still. I'm kind of leaning with Bank on this but there are definitely better things to do than to just pinch it in the plastic, they could use a rubber grommet or something.

I will open mine up and take a look anyway when I receive it. Even open up the holes like you did and black tape around them to hold them into place.

yea my wires were crimped aswel. i could see them getting fraid or cut, but it was my fan wire that was bare. this could cause problems with the esc overheating etc... causing a fire.
also when i opened it, there where rocks/debris that could easily of caused the fan to stop and also cause the esc to overheat.

DSC02858.jpg

DSC02857.jpg

I had this kind of problem with a losi bl esc. The on/off switch shorted and when it did it got hot enough to melt the solder on the board which flowed over to other conections causing them to short. Needless to say that ended that esc's life.

Good write up Freddy. The smallest thing can lead to Hugh firery problems.

thx for the input guys & pics.

I'm sure this will help others. a short of any kind in your esc is not gonna have a happy ending.

plus if you open the case you void the warrenty.i found that out the hard way

kinda a moot point. if it goes up in flames & you need the warranty, they'll prolly never be able to tell you opened it.

Opening the case does not void warranty atleast with castle. With hpi I unsure but it really shouldn't considering they sell replacment cases and fans that at DIY

Latest posts

Members online

Back